I. Read the text.
bring – brought- привозить grow – grew — выращивать, расти
expensive — дорогой сheap – дешевый
Food from around the world
We eat a lot of different kinds of food today. Before the 16th century, people in Europe didn’t have a lot of the things that we can eat and drink every day.
At the end of the 15th century, people from Europe started to travel to other parts of the world. They went to America, Africa and Asia. They brought back a lot of new kinds of food.
Chocolate came from Mexico. The Aztecs there drank chocolate with pepper! The Spanish brought chocolate to Europe and they were first to put sugar in it. Until the 1870s, chocolate was only a drink. The Swiss made the first bar of chocolate in 1876.
Tomatoes, peppers and avocados all came from Mexico, too. The Spanish took seeds back to Spain and started to grow the plants there. Soon they spread to other countries in Europe and then to other parts of the world. The words tomato, chocolate and avocado all come from the old Aztec language.
Potatoes came from South America. Potatoes like cold, wet weather. They grew in the mountains of Peru. Coffee came from Africa. The Turks took it to Turkey and then to Europe. Tea came from China in the 17th century. At first it was very expensive and only rich people drank it, but in the 19th century the British started to grow tea in India. They produced a lot, so it was cheap and everybody could drink it.
Complete the sentences:
Aztecs drank chocolate with… .
At the end of the 15th century, people from Europe started to travel… … … … … .
… came from Mexico.
The Turks brought …to Europe.
5. …were first to put sugar into chocolate.
II. Open the brackets to complete the sentences.
1. Jane (play) the violin now. I can’t call her.
2. Yesterday I (fish) at 5 o’clock in the morning.
3. It seldom (snow) in this part of the country last winter.
4. Jeff already (eat) his dinner.
5. I (learn) English for 5 years.
III. Express the same using passive constructions.
1. People make jams from different fruits.
2. The fire destroyed Windsor Castle in 1992.
3. Someone will meet the actors at the airport.
4. She must finish her work today.
5. We should visit him.
IV. Complete the sentences.
1. If I (feel) bad I (go) to the doctor.
2. When my parents (come) back we (go) to watch the competition.
3. When father (come) home we (have) dinner.
4. If it (not/ snow) she (go) for a walk.
5. The wildlife (survive) if people (take) care of it.
V. Open the brackets using Complex Object.
1. I’d like (you, join) in our game.
2. I have never heard (he, sing) so well.
3. Did you notice (she, buy) a present for someone?
4. We don’t expect (they, return) before lunchtime.
5. He doesn’t want (I, climb) the hill, he thinks it’s dangerous.